Academic Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions from the coming juniors

5 posters

Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty Questions from the coming juniors

Post  Will*I*AM Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 pm

The next batch of JPA students have been confirmed. Most of them have pass the UGM entrance exam test. Now they are concerned about the condition in Indoneisa. So they send me some questions. Please help to answer and I will reply to them. We are thinking of using the "about" page of the blog as the information centre for the coming juniors.

"how is the staying place there? Do we have our own rooms or do we have to share?" --Jan

"What is the max luggage weight and max liqiud weight to bring on airport?" -- Koi

"how big is one room?" --hy
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty Re: Questions from the coming juniors

Post  aisyahuh Thu May 01, 2008 12:46 am

This is especially for the jpa scholar..

"how is the staying place there? Do we have our own rooms or do we have to share?" --Jan

If not mistaken,the girls might stay at pondok elmira (mind the name, ure not gona stay in a pondok la). its sort of like a hostel. Most of our batch07 girls stayed here when we first came until we move out.The hostel (we call it kost here) is a 2 storey building that can accommodate around 24 people.Yes,youre going to get your own room but u have to share bathrooms. Dont have high expectations on the kost. Its kinda old, the rooms are small (it can nicely fit one bed,one studytable and one almari), no flush toilet only squat ones and the place is quite far from the main road. The nice thing about it is theres a small garden at the center of the kost for u guys to menikmati and u can have ure morning chat with ur friends infront of the bathroom while waiting for ur turn (mengeratkan siraturrahim kan..hoho..).overall the place is acceptable.

while for the guys, most likely ure gona stay at kost in pogung kidul. the detail description i'll let the guys stayed there to explain.

"What is the max luggage weight and max liqiud weight to bring on airport?"

You guys gonna come here by MAS rite? the max luggage weight if not mistaken last time is 30kg and for the max liquid weight is 500ml if ure gonna bring it hand carry. Since flight to jogjakarta only takes around 2.5 hours, i think it'll be better if u put all ur liquid stuff in ur check in baggage. It'll spare u the hassle of showing the plastic (ure gona put ur liquid stuff in a plastic provided) everytime theres a check in counter.

"how big is one room?" --hy

In pondok elmira as i explain earlier on it'll be small. since the total of u coming here exceed 100( btul tak?), u guys surely gona be separated. So its hard to say. Maybe some of u gona stay in a good kost with a big room or the other way around. But dont worry, the rooms here is comfortable enough to study. If u still dont like ur kost u can just move out in the following year like what we did.

so, good luck with the mind boggling on what to bring,how to pack it and constant readjusment of baggage by ur mums!ngeheeeeeeee

Last edited by aisyahuh on Mon May 05, 2008 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
aisyahuh
aisyahuh

Back to top Go down

Post  aalina Fri May 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Well, mebbe u can consider dis an advice o just answer 4 d questions...

Bout d accomodation, usually u'll b staying in a kost, a hostel kinda place.
Most probably u'll get a single rum 4 urself.
If u happen 2 stay in Pondok Elmira, (not 2 scare u all o anytin), but just dun expect 2 much...
Did d Nugrahan ppl show sum pictures on d accomodation?
Coz they did during my year... (N dey shud 2...)
I tot d place I'm staying is just like d 1 they showed, but I guess I put my expectation 2 high tho...
Hahaha...

Elmira is nice, especially when u get 2 stay wif most of ur friends...
But, mind u tho...
Since there's a lot of u in Elmira, d 2nd floor will owez trip 4m time 2 time...
N I really get fed up on it. Hahaha...
But, I guess, u'll get used 2 it tho. ;P

There'll b (mebbe) sum leakage in sum of d rums (not all coz so far I dun haf any probs on dat...)
D water kolah will b infested by larvae of d mosquito, so u'll need 2 clean it 4m time 2 time.
Unless u dun mind bout it at all...
Hahaha... But, it's kinda disgusting tho... ;P
During my time, Kiki's d 1 hu owez help us clean d kolah n donate sum of her dettol.
Hehehe... (^^,)

Nway, dis is just based on experienced.
I've stayed there 4 nearly 10 months (d longest time since most of d other gurls moved out 1 month earlier... xcept 4 me n Clem2...)

Just dun worry too much bout dat. I'm sure all of u can cope up wif d conditions.
It's not as bad as u might think it is (once u experience it...)
Dun worry bout d rum size.

One tips : Dun complain 2 much! Hahaha... There's nothing much u can do... ;P
But, can owez tok 2 d seniors bout it. I'm pretty sure they'll haf lots of things 2 say 2. Kahkahkah... ;P

N dat's 4 d accomodation...

Bout d luggage thing, if I'm x mistaken, d max 4 international flight 4 MAS is 25kg...
But, they'll still tolerate wif an xtra 5 kg 4 students...
But, try x 2 exceed more than dat please. Unless u wanna pay 4 d extra weight.
4 d 1st time, mebbe it'll b a bit troublesome since u ppl need 2 bring sum books, which will cost u xtra weight 4 ur luggage...
But, wat 2 do rite?
Just dun bring 2 many unnecessary stuff 1st lo...
Bout laptops, I'm not so sure if u ppl need it o x, but I'm glad I brought mine dat time.
Coz mebbe u'll need ur laptops 4 d lecture's slides n other things... (x so sure wat tho...) Hahaha...
Oh!! I think u ppl will hav faculty 'ospek' (in other word, orientation)...
So, prepare those black pants(guys) o long black skirt(gurls) n long sleeve+colar white shirt(formal 1, mind u...) n a black tie...
Tho u can borrow d black tie 4m other seniors o buy it here... I just borrowed mine 4m a senior last year...

Well,... dat's all I can say now...
Any more probs, just ask... Hehehe...
aalina
aalina

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty More questions from the Juniors

Post  Will*I*AM Fri May 02, 2008 6:02 pm

"how is the living condition ther? I mean d hostel n campus... is d campus far frm hostel? n 1 more thing, do v hav to wear formal 2 clas everyday lyk in ktt?"--Kean Seng

(P.S.: well, i knw sum qns are repeats and hav been answered, but, i juz type out exactly what i receive la.... Thanks lot for helping us...)
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty Suggestion

Post  Will*I*AM Fri May 02, 2008 6:26 pm

I think we should produce something like a guide to inform our juniors of the situation here and give them a brief idea of what they can expect. So I suggest we work together to produce this guide. When you were waiting to go Indonesia, i beg you have a thousand questions in your mind but the Nugrahan can never give a satisfied reply. Your parents maybe be rather paranoid about things that you are gonna experience in Indonesia. So, I think it would be nice of us to shed some light to our coming juniors so that they can get a brief idea of the lifestyle here. The guide can be formal or it can be funny. The topics should include the following:

1. Accommodation
2. Transport (to school and other places, taxi, angkut, car and motorbike)
3. Safety and possible natural disasters
4. Cost of living ( hostel, food, internet,etc)
5. Quality of education (Quality of the teaching staff, facilities)
6. Entertainment and sport
7. Language
8. Food, water and hygiene
9. Problems that we might face in the beginning of our study and how we cope with it
10. Immigration related issue such as Bebas Fiskal, the blue book, etc...
11. Airline related issue, such as max weight, what to bring and not to bring
12. Communications with family and friends in Malaysia ( HP, Internet, etc and the cost)
13. Finance, ATM related issues
14. Book review (the important books to buy before coming)

The list seems to be very long...After compilation I guess it would be good enough to be put it at the WikiPedia, haha Smile

Firstly, we shall divide the topics to different people. Pick you favorite topic to write on. So I would like to know who are interested to write on these topics? So far I know that Hui Min is interested. Aisyah and Adeline is probably very interested too Smile If you are interested, please put down you name here and choose your topics to write on. Later on, the guide should be touched up to provide as much information as possible. Anyone interested to do the compilation and editing?

Your masterpiece will be posted at the our Batch Blog "About" Page. It will serve as an information center for the coming juniors. We can also inform them of the orientation details through the Blog.

So put down your name and your choice of topic here so that there won't be repeat on the same topic. What we need is coverage. Details can be added on later. You are most welcome to add details to certain topic written by your peers.
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty :)

Post  malina ramlan Fri May 02, 2008 9:24 pm

great! where do i sign up?? hehe flower
malina ramlan
malina ramlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Will*I*AM Fri May 02, 2008 10:58 pm

Just put down your name here!!! And choose your favourite topic!!!
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty william~

Post  aisyahuh Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm

me!! i think i'll do the book preview
aisyahuh
aisyahuh

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty Aisyah

Post  Will*I*AM Tue May 06, 2008 7:25 am

Ok Laughing
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty will i am

Post  aisyahuh Thu May 08, 2008 11:43 pm

william..i wanna change aa..i'll do language instead..hehe Very Happy
aisyahuh
aisyahuh

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty aisyah

Post  Will*I*AM Fri May 09, 2008 8:55 pm

no problem Smile
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Questions from the coming juniors Empty ~hahaha

Post  ^haneem^ Sat May 17, 2008 1:27 pm

think i want to do bout da transportion...

^haneem^

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down