Academic Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis

2 posters

Go down

Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis Empty Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis

Post  nash Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:26 am

Well, my group did discuss a bit bout this since it is brought up by the doctor himself. This is just a bit awareness of the usage of medical terms.
So according to few sites n books...

Paresis is

- a condition typified by partial loss of movement, or impaired movement. When used without qualifiers, it usually refers to the limbs, but it also can be used to describe the muscles of the eyes (ophthalmoparesis) and also the stomach (gastroparesis). Neurologists use the term paresis to describe weakness, and plegia to describe paralysis in which all movement is lost. (wikipedia)

- 1. Incomplete paralysis. 2. A form of neurosyphilis (syphilis affecting the central nervous system -- the brain and spinal cord). Also known as general paresis, neurolues, acute syphilitic meningitis, meningovascular syphilis, tabes dorsalis, and the great pox. First recognized in Europe as a distinct epidemic in Naples in the late 1400s coincident with the invasion of Naples by the French. The dispersal of the debauched French mercenary army throughout Western Europe led to the frighteningly fast spread of the new disease. (medicine.net)

- Slight or incomplete paralysis. (dorland and other web sites)

Got the idea? You can read more bout the types n other stuffs bout paresis at wiki. Let's look at plegia then,

Plegia is

-Paralysis. (medilexicon.com)

-Paralysis (thefreedictionary.com)

-Suffix meaning paralysis or a stroke (medicine.net)

-Paralysis. (cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk)

Obviously, plegia is paralysis. What about paralysis then? Is it the same with paresis?

Paralysis is

-the complete loss of muscle function for one or more muscle groups. Paralysis always causes loss of feeling in the affected area. Paralysis is most often caused by damage to the nervous system or brain, especially the spinal cord. (wikipedia)

- Loss or impairment of motor function in a part due to lesion of the neural or muscular mechanism, also by analogy, impairment of sensory function (sensory paralysis). (cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk)

-defined as complete loss of strength in an affected limb or muscle group. (healthatoz.com)

So, did ya get it? U can read more at healthatoz.com bout paralysis. Well then, that's all bout the terms here. If you guys hav anything to share and comment, JUST DO IT
nash
nash

Back to top Go down

Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis Empty Re: Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis

Post  Will*I*AM Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 pm

So paralysis is the loss of motor control of the muscle. Is paralysis always accompanied by sensory loss? Is it possible that the person can't move his leg but still able to feel the heat, touch, pain sensation at the leg?
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis Empty Re: Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis

Post  Will*I*AM Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Paresis is

- a condition typified by partial loss of movement, or impaired movement. When used without qualifiers, it usually refers to the limbs, but it also can be used to describe the muscles of the eyes (ophthalmoparesis) and also the stomach (gastroparesis). Neurologists use the term paresis to describe weakness, and plegia to describe paralysis in which all movement is lost. (wikipedia)

What is partial loss of movement? Is it like I can flex my arm and can't extend it back? Or is it that i can flex my arm to certain degree and can't extend fully?
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Tutorial Uno: Between Paresis, Plegia and Paralysis Empty Hmmmm.........Not a perfect answer...

Post  nash Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:29 pm

For your first question, it sounds possible to occur if the injury only affects the motoric neurons/effectors since the receptors can still detect the stimuli, and send impulses through sensory neurons which are unaffected by the injury and the brain can interpret the stimuli as example heat or wutever. In other words, the lesions only affected the muscular mechanism. So... maybe u can still feel the sensation but couldn't react back to it. I did asked Dr. Yudi in skills lab if I'm not mistaken bout his name, and he said that yeah, it is possible. But he didnt mention bout the mechanism.

For the second question, i'm not so sure bout the flexion stuffs. But ur question sounded as if how severe is paresis. Did asked the tutor but he forgot bout that. From my understanding, paresis only causes weakness for movement. So, the person with paresis can still move unlike paralysis but maybe limited movements at the affected part. Yeah, there are few stages of paresis from mild to severe. I'm not so sure bout the degree of movements.

Well, its kinda bit hard to define the paresis and paralysis since there are a lot of types according to their affected places. Moreover, they use other names than paralysis to describe the condition. I believe that we will learn more bout these stuffs in limited movements for coming blocks to come.
For confirmation n more information, I guess u should ask the doctors especially the neurologists or maybe u can brought it up during the academic discussion.
nash
nash

Back to top Go down

Post  Will*I*AM Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:20 pm

i asked the neurologist during my skill lab. He say paralysis only means loss of voluntary control of muscle, and the definition DOES NOT include the loss sensory, though paralysis is often accompanied accompanied by sensory.
Will*I*AM
Will*I*AM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down